Eternal Sun produces state of the art solar simulators (Xenon and LED-based) that are able to measure PV modules according to IEC 61215. Would you like to know more about Eternal Sun’s solar simulator portfolio? Then follow us on LinkedIn or click on the button below.
Check out Eternal Sun's solar simulator portfolio
Eternal Sun is not only a manufacturer of solar simulators, but it also provides PV testing services (according to IEC 61215 standards) in the ports of both Rotterdam and Valencia and even PV Factory inspections in China and South-East Asia . Would you like to know more about Eternal Sun’s testing services? Then follow us on LinkedIn or click on the button below.
Check out Eternal STC PV testing services
- Performance Evaluation: The standard defines the criteria and testing procedures to evaluate the electrical, mechanical, and environmental performance of crystalline silicon PV modules. This includes parameters like power output, electrical characteristics, and thermal behavior.
- Safety Assurance: IEC 61215 sets safety requirements to ensure that PV modules are designed and constructed to minimize potential hazards, such as fire or electrical shock, during installation, operation, and maintenance.
- Quality Control: Manufacturers use IEC 61215 as a reference to design, manufacture, and test PV modules according to established industry standards. This helps ensure the consistency and quality of PV module production.
- Certification and Compliance: PV modules that meet the requirements outlined in IEC 61215 are eligible for certification by accredited testing laboratories. Certification provides assurance to customers, installers, and regulatory authorities that the modules are safe and reliable for use in photovoltaic systems.
- Performance Guarantee: For solar panel buyers and system investors, adherence to IEC 61215 provides confidence that the PV modules will perform as expected and meet specified efficiency and durability standards throughout their operational lifetime.
IEC 61215 has evolved over time to accommodate technological advancements in the PV industry and to address emerging challenges related to safety, quality, and performance. There are multiple editions and parts of the standard, each focusing on specific aspects of PV module testing and requirements. It’s worth noting that IEC 61215 specifically applies to crystalline silicon-based PV modules, which include both monocrystalline and polycrystalline silicon technologies. For other types of PV technologies, such as thin-film PV modules, different IEC standards like IEC 61646 and IEC 61730 are applicable.
IEC 61215-1:2021/COR1:2021 was established on 25th of May 2021 and is still valid (date of writing 4th of October 2023) . It’s predecessors were IEC 61215-1:2016 established on the 9th of March 2016 and IEC 61215-1:2021 RLV (stil valid on 4th of October 2023) established on the 23th of February 2021.